Wednesday, July 9, 2014

ISTE standards and GAME plan



I chose standards 2a and 5c from The International Society for Technology in Education (ISTE) standards for teachers.  Standard 2a states teachers will “design or adapt relevant learning experiences that incorporate digital tools and resources to promote student learning and creativity” (ISTE Standards, 2008).  My goal is to learn more effective ways to use technology to increase learning and creativity in my students.  I want to be able to match the best technology tool with the content under study.   My action steps will involve looking at content and researching technology tools.  I will collaborate with my school’s technology coordinator, colleagues, and students to expand my knowledge with technology.  As I learn about available technology, I will monitor my progress.  I would check to see if the resources I am utilizing are providing the knowledge to incorporate new technology. Once I apply the technology into my classroom, I can evaluate by reflecting on what worked and what failed.  An important part of the evaluation process will be involving students.  I want their feedback and through assessments I can determine what I need to adjust in the future.
Standard 5c states, teachers “evaluate and reflect on current research and professional practice on a regular basis to make effective use of existing and emerging digital tools and resources in support of student learning” (ISTE, 2008).   My goal is to stay current on technology advancements and continue to integrate in my classroom to support student learning.  One action step is taking online classes through Walden University.  Dr. Ertmer discussed the importance of having a supportive culture. Another goal is to find people to support my learning and with teachers who are not afraid to take risks (Laureate Education, 2009).  I will continue to monitor by reflecting on my progress in the same way mentioned with standard 2b. In addition, I will evaluate using similar methods above with the added element of teacher feedback. 

References
ISTE Standards. (2008) ISTE Standards Teacher. Retrieved from iste.org/docs/pdfs/20-14_ISTE_Standards-T_PDF.pdf
Laureate Education, Inc., (Executive Producer). (2009). Integrating technology across the content areas: Enriching content area learning experiences with technology, part 1.


4 comments:

  1. Hi Kay!

    I can relate to your struggles with matching the best form of technology with the content being studied. It seems like we have so many different options now as teachers in the 21st century, but utilizing that technology in the best way possible is sometimes difficult. When reflecting upon technology and content, I really like Cennamo, Ross, and Ertmer’s (2009) thoughts on student interest. Cennamo, Ross, and Ertmer (2009) explain that “Technology also affords the opportunity to provide engaging and interesting material to students who read at different grade levels…” (p. 37). Clearly, connecting technology and content can be beneficial only when student engagement is peaked. Kay McClenney, C. Nathan Marti, and Courtney Adkins (2006) explain that “The connection between student engagement and student success is grounded in decades of research” (p. 2). I also like your evaluative process when it comes to this standard because it involves student feedback. Both of the goals that I need to improve upon include requesting student feedback for evaluative purposes. Who knows better about the success of a lesson than the students? Thank you for your great ideas!

    Resources:

    Cennamo, K., Ross, J. & Ertmer, P. (2009). Technology integration for meaningful classroom use: A standards-based approach. (Laureate Education, Inc., Custom ed.). Belmont, CA: Wadsworth, Cengage Learning.

    McClenney, K., Marti, C. N., & Adkins, C. (2006). Student engagement and student outcomes: Key findings from CCSSE validation research. Austin, TX: University of Texas at Austin, Community College Leadership Program.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jessica,
      Thanks for you feedback. With the adoption of the Common Core State Standards, this year was extremely difficult. I was teaching new content and trying to add more real world connections. Cennamo, Ross, and Ertmer (2009) defined authentic instruction as “assignments that require students to think, develop in-depth understanding, and apply their learning to realistic, important problems (p. 35). Currently, when I think about planning my lessons, there are so many other factors to consider to achieve authentic instruction. How can I tie this lesson into the real world and what technology can enhance their learning are the questions I continually ask myself. As I become more familiar with the new standards, I hope to develop higher level lessons and add technology tools.
      I often ask my students for feedback because they usually are straightforward. I am glad you liked this idea. Teachers have always had a lot on their plate and it seems to be increasing more and more each year.
      Kay
      Cennamo, K., Ross, J., & Ertmer, P. (2009). Technology integration for meaningful classroom use: A standards-based approach. (Laureate Education, Inc., Custom ed.). Belmont, CA: Wadsworth, Cengage Learning.



      Delete
  2. Hi Kay!

    For your first goal, regarding ISTE Standard 2a, I feel like this might be a really helpful resource:

    http://www.schrockguide.net/bloomin-apps.html

    I love Kathy Shrock's site and have often wanted to customize that very page to suit district-specific tools we have at my school, but she just does such a great job of it holistically that I end up linking the page all the time instead. Anyway, I think it could be useful insofar as linking particular activities with tech tools that match.

    You also might find Google Forms to be a quick and easy way to gauge, analyze and organize your student feedback data related to the technology you are integrating in class. Are you familiar with it?

    My own GAME plan shares elements of your second goal, which seeks to find other colleagues/peers with whom you could collaborate. I was thinking about joining ISTE itself as a professional network. Do you have other ideas on how to find and engage with good PLCs?

    Exciting plan!
    Dana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dana,
      I love Kathy Schrock’s page too. For my last class I used this site often, so I need to remind myself to go back to it especially for technology ideas. I am not familiar with Google forms, so if you have any other information on that site, please let me know.
      We do not have any set time for PLCs or any formal, required groups. Our PLC time comes in the hallway, at lunch, before or after school. These small snatches of time have become valuable. We have a small group of people that communicate constantly whenever we can. Sometimes we meet after school just to touch base to collaborate and share ideas. Thanks for your ideas.
      Kay

      Delete